Sudden Cardiac Arrest (SCA) is a leading cause of death in the US. The following facts indicate that a lack of awareness makes it an even bigger problem.
CPR and a life-saving shock from an AED is the only definitive treatment for SCA which is why it is important for everyone to become equipped and prepared to save lives.
- Approximately 350,000 out-of-hospital cardiac arrests (OHCA) occur in the US each year.
- Only 46% of people who suffer OHCA receive the immediate treatment that they need.
- Around 10,000 cardiac arrests happen in the workplace in the US each year.
- Approximately 80% of OHCAs occur at home; 20% occur in public places.
- Without immediate treatment, 90-95% of SCAs result in death.
- If a defibrillator is used and effective CPR is performed within 3-5 minutes of cardiac arrest, the chance of survival is increased from 6% to 74%.
- In 2014, nearly 45% of OHCA victims survived when bystanders performed effective CPR.